Monday, February 27, 2012

Oscar Night - Love it or Hate it

It's the day after the Oscars and I have heard some ask how they can get their three wasted hours back. I watched. I had been prepared to wear my cynical hat and do some hating. But my life is so dull right now, steeped in a grey wintery stupor, that I actually enjoyed some of it. I didn't follow the tweeters, who love to be snarky. I can't yet coordinate the visual with the twittered. Probably never will.

I also had the advantage of watching with a tape delay, so I could race through the editing geeks and other artsy fartsies having their moments in the limelight.

 Ellen DeGeneres. Quite captivating in her JCP ads. I didn't race through them, but I did pare off a little time with my own editing of some commercials.

As far as watching clips from old films, and new? I guess I am a sucker for a well-acted scene. But I did race through the cartoon shorts.

 Scrutinizing the dresses of the beautiful people? I am just shallow enough to care.

J-Lo. As the husband passed through the room I suggested he check her out as she was about to present. She was stunning--a wardrobe malfunction in waiting. Check it out if you care.

I was pleased to see old Christopher Plummer--still looking classy at 82--win his first Oscar. He became important to me in my early movie viewing in high school in his role in the (i-word) movie of the 60's, The Sound of Music.

And Meryl. No one can deny her talent. 17 nominations. Two previous wins--last one 30 years ago! I loved her recent It's Complicated. I would probably hate her portrayal of The Iron Lady (not her fault) and may not see it. She shares a birth year and middle name (born Mary Louise) with me. Okay, she had a dress that did not flatter, but I am quite sympathetic to the fuller figure of a same-age senior. Martha Stewart has to wear things loosely as well--but still wears her heels and modeling legs well.

But Angelina. Presenting with a leg--one skinny limb displayed from a long split in her elegant black dress. She resembled a skeleton, sticking out a bone, like Hansel, for evaluation by the witch. If this is our ideal of beauty, I'd rather be in the camp with the matronly.

I don't know how the cirque de soleil act fit in, but it was rather spectacular.

I could say some snarkier stuff about the Oscars. It is an aging (84 years) institution, old and white, a bland and boring night, that should be retired. But like I said, what else did I feel like doing on a sleepy Sunday evening in mid-winter?

No comments:

Post a Comment